POSTED OCTOBER 9, 2008
Farmingville Community Organizer
The Workplace Project, a non-profit membership organization that supports immigrant workers on Long Island, is seeking a Community Organizer for the area of Farmingville and Suffolk County. This person reports to the Executive Director and works in coordination with the organizers and other staff. The responsibilities of the position include:
• Organizing: Work with local committee and members to build the power of Latino immigrant workers in Long Island, specifically targeting Suffolk County. Implement campaigns in coordination with Workplace Project staff and members, including voter registration campaigns, legislative campaigns and other campaigns as needed and determined by members.
• Education and Outreach: Conduct presentations and outreach regarding the Workplace Project to educate the community regarding their rights and to attract new members to the organization. Coordinate volunteer taught education program that provides ESL, computer and other workshop programs to members.
• External relations: Manage and build relationships with universities, government agencies and other organizations that bring increased resources to the community, including volunteers, funding and services.
• Fundraising: Support local committee in developing and implementing fundraising strategies, including special events fundraisers, member dues, and fee for services.
• Financial/ Administrative: In cooperation with the Farmingville committee, administer office tasks such as paying bills and maintaining records of income and expenses.
Hours: Full-time preferred, must be flexible for evenings and weekends. Part time would also be considered depending on hours of availability.
Qualifications: Understanding of situation of Latino immigrants on Long Island, in particular in Suffolk County. Motivation, creativity and commitment to social justice required. Ability to read, write and speak in English and Spanish. Have access to a car. Ability to work as part of a team.
Interested candidates should send resumes to: Nadia Marin-Molina, Executive Director, Workplace Project, 91 N. Franklin St., Suite 207, Hempstead, NY 11550, by fax: 516-565-5470, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org